Walk-in showers are an attractive and versatile bathing enclosure that is popular among homeowners across the nation. Whether you’re looking for a more open aesthetic or you want accessible options that will enable you to comfortably age in place, walk-in showers offer the design features and customizations that are just right for you. Here are some of the top walk-in shower ideas for seniors thinking about a shower remodel.
Safety Features of Walk-In Showers
Walk-in showers are popular among seniors because of their low threshold. Unlike a traditional bathtub design, there’s typically only a small threshold to step over in a walk-in shower. Additionally, there are ultra-low threshold options and even barrier-free shower options available to make entering and exiting the shower a breeze. However, the low threshold is only the beginning of the numerous options and ideas for making your walk-in shower safe and accessible.
Some additional safety features that you may want to consider adding to the design of your walk-in shower include:
- Built-in seating – One of the most popular walk-in shower options for seniors is built-in seating. This can take the form of a flip-down seat or a complete bench seat that’s built into the shower itself. Being able to shower while seated can add some much-needed stability to the space.
- Non-slip surfacing – It’s also important to consider the shower base. You’ll want to consider a shower base that has some texture or coating to help add traction to an otherwise slippery surface.
- Safety grab bars – Strategically placed safety grab bars can add extra stability where it’s most needed. Consider adding grab bars to help step into and out of the shower enclosure as well as near the seat to help with sitting and standing up.
- Easy-to-reach storage options – You’ll want to make sure your shower accessories are easily within reach without having to maneuver more than necessary. Recessed shelving and corner caddies should be placed in areas that can easily be reached for the shower seat. This may involve considering having these storage options lower than usual to accommodate a seated versus a standing position.
- Ergonomic showerheads – A showerhead that can be held in the hand can offer more versatility and convenience, especially for anyone who would prefer to sit in the shower. Ensuring the features of the showerhead are easy to see and use can help enhance the bathing experience.
Get Design Assistance from the Professionals
Of course, all of these shower ideas are only suggestions to serve as a starting point for your new shower design. You’ll want to think about what’s most comfortable and convenient for your particular needs in order to design a custom shower that’s just right for you. At MaxHome, we proudly offer and install walk-in showers for seniors, and we’d be happy to discuss your options and ideas in more detail. Contact us today to learn more about our walk-in showers for seniors and to get started with a complimentary shower design consultation.